No matter who you are and how much experience you’ve had with kids, becoming a step-parent and “blending of families” is difficult work. The book presents 8 Strategies in the form of action steps to maximize anyone’s chances of success in this endeavor.
Use this book to:
• create a “parenting partnership”
• move beyond resentment of or competition with the former spouse
• examine and work with your unrealistic expectations about yourself and your kids
• build new and happy memories with your step-children, while respecting their old ones
• understand the “Family Hierarchy Ladder” to resolve many problems before they show up
• get the help you need when “things” or people break down.
8 Strategies for Successful Step-Parenting is written in a non-apologetic voice, offering strong and specific direction to address current problems. Vignettes of 30 real-life family situations support the strategies suggested. Issues and examples are applicable cross-culturally, and address needs of both men and women.This book will empower readers to take up their new challenge with common sense, firmness and compassion; but most of all, with greater self-knowledge—the best strategy for success in any important task.
“Being responsible for the day-to-day physical, emotional and spiritual care of someone else’s children takes a lot of guts. It also takes persistence, optimism, focus, and love for your new partner, enough to commit yourself to his or her children.”—from the text